Depth at the lower seeds gave the Pella boys tennis the push they needed to defeat Newton 8-3 on Monday. Jacob Martin started the charge at No. 3 singles with a three-set win over McKinley Brown of Newton, which included a crucial first-set tiebreaker for Martin. The Little Dutch followed that up with wins by Nick Shepperd, David Lapthorn and Nick Van Gorp at numbers four through six singles.
The trend followed for the Little Dutch in doubles play, as Newton claimed a win at No. 1 doubles, but Pella swept the remaining five matches. The Little Dutch are back in action this evening, as they take on the Eagles at Pella Christian High School.
1. Brannon Johnson lost to Troy Scott 2-6, 5-7.
2. Rick Williamson lost to Dylan Camp 5-7, 7-6 (7-1), 3-10.
3. Jacob Martin beat McKinley Brown 7-6 (7-5), 4-6, 10-3.
4. Nick Shepperd beat Aaron Thompson 6-3, 6-1.
5. David Lapthorn beat John Fehr 6-1, 6-4.
6. Nick Van Gorp beat Issac Bowie 7-5, 6-3.
1. Will Loux/Brannon Johnson lost to Scott/Camp 6-3, 4-6, 8-10.
2. Martin/Lapthorn beat Brown/Thompson 6-1, 6-2.
3. Williamson/Van Gorp beat Fehr/Bowie 7-5, 6-1.
4. Ben Palmer/Nick Shepperd beat Carson Claypool/Spenser Hook 6-1, 6-0.
5. Seth Ruiter/Tristan Miedema beat Jon Tudor/Carter McDermott 6-0, 6-3.