The One to Count On...

West Pleasant Street Fire Update

Posted: Thursday, June 9th, 2011 at 6:30 am
Author: KNIA/KRLS News-Aaron Gernes

In a KNIA/KRLS News Update from a story previously reported – The fire at 1510 West Pleasant early Wednesday morning is believed to be caused by a gas leak. Knoxville Fire Chief Mike Roberts says that it was discovered by the Fire Department and Aliant Energy that there was a small leak in a gas line that went through the hottest part of the fire. Roberts said that he invited Marion County Sheriff’s Deputy Justin Kingery, Marion County Fire Investigator to the scene. He said they think the gas leak built up over the past week as the occupant kept the house closed up due to the heat. They then believe the gas ignited a stove that had its pilot lit all the time, starting the fire. Roberts says that the fire is still under investigation. KNIA/KRLS News will bring more details as they become official.