The One to Count On...

Local Resident Has Close Call With Carbon Monoxide

Posted: Saturday, February 4th, 2012 at 6:25 am
Author: KNIA/KRLS News-Evan Little

On Thursday evening the Pella Fire Department was called out to a carbon monoxide detector alarm. The furnace at an apartment apparently malfunctioned. No one was injured but the residence did have to be evacuated. Pella Fire Chief Doug Van Gorkom says that if the occupant didn’t have a carbon monoxide detector, it’s very likely he would be dead. Van Gorkom, tells KNIA/KRLS News that very high levels of the gas were found in the unit. He says that the normal danger level on fire department detection equipment is 40 parts per million and that the unit registered over 200 parts per million in the apartment.