- KNIA / KRLS - http://kniakrls.com -
IN DEPTH: The Kids are Back–Back to School. Getting into College
Posted By news On August 31, 2012 @ 2:00 pm In Back to School | Comments Disabled
As Dean of Admissions at Central College, Carol Williamson has seen many thousands of applications from students wishing to get into Central. She loves her job, and it is clear that she doesn’t just “rubber-stamp” applications. She has some great recommendations and insights.
1. Parents and students need to work hand in hand to find the best fit for the student. Plan to visit at least six colleges.
2. In general, the best predictor of success at Central is high school grade point average. The better the grade point average, the more likely the student will do well.
3. Make sure that students take all of the core classes in school, and all of the college prep classes that they can.
4. Community Colleges have open enrollment, the Regents institutions have higher standards, and in general private institutions have the highest standards. Competition is higher in Iowa than in other states.
5. Parents need to follow their children’s high school academic career very closely to make sure that they are positioned to get into the college of their dreams.
Article printed from KNIA / KRLS: http://kniakrls.com
URL to article: http://kniakrls.com/2012/08/in-depth-the-kids-are-back-back-to-school-getting-into-college-2/
Copyright © 2009 KNIA/KRLS. All rights reserved.