- KNIA / KRLS - http://kniakrls.com -
IN DEPTH: The Kids are Back–Back to School. Keeping Kids Active.
Posted By news On August 23, 2012 @ 2:00 pm In Back to School | Comments Disabled
Ben Van Wyk, physical education instructor at Pella Christian Grade School has a great job–helping kids do their best to exercise and have fun while doing it. His office is adjacent to the school gym, and I just bet that when he needs a break from his desk, he shoots a few baskets. He had lots of good advice for parents on how to keep their kids physically fit. Here are some major points that I learned.
1. The most important thing is to just keep kids moving and having fun. The more they move, the more fit they will be as they learn to use their bodies.
2. Kids develop at different speeds. Make sure that activities address the differing development of individuals. That is, give them many physical activities that they can choose from.
3. Make sure kids learn how to be good winners and losers.
4. If a child doesn’t want to do sports, don’t force them. Try to find other ways for them to be active.
5. There is a strong effort in our schools to make sure that kids have an opportunity to do sports that can provide them with something they can do their entire life. While one can’t be a football player in middle age, tennis or golf, for example, are fine for any age.
6. Parents should lead by example. Be active WITH your kids. Walk, run, or bike together. It builds good health and strong families.
There is much more in this interview. I hope you enjoy it.
Article printed from KNIA / KRLS: http://kniakrls.com
URL to article: http://kniakrls.com/2012/08/in-depth-the-kids-are-back-back-to-school-keeping-kids-active/
URLs in this post:
 Image: http://www.kniakrls.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/IMG_48641.jpg
 Play in new window: http://media.blubrry.com/iowaradioplus/p/content.blubrry.com/iowaradioplus/ben_van_wyk_health_for_web_2.mp3
Copyright © 2009 KNIA/KRLS. All rights reserved.