I love to see passion in teachers. And I sure saw it when I interviewed Jackie Duffy, Megan Phillips, and Ben Varner, music teachers in the Knoxville school district. They love music, and love to share it with kids. I’ve been lucky enough to watch Jackie and Megan interact with children before (Ben is new to the district), and if they aren’t born teachers it sure looks like it. They have many interesting things to say about the importance of children learning music, and I’d like to share a few.
1. Learning music helps kids be smarter.
2. Music helps kids in all disciplines. They learn disciplines in music that translate into other fields of study, including math, reading, languages, and social studies.
3. Music is a discipline in and of itself that deserves study and appreciation.
4. Music and other arts are frequently seen as a starting point when budgets need to be cut. This is a mistake. Kids need music.
5. Music is everywhere; try to go a day without hearing it.
Music is a gift that we can give to our children that will help them forever. I hope you enjoy the interview–there is much more in it. And listen if only to hear their passion!