It’s always nice to sit down and talk with successful students. Austin Rinehart, Lacie Lambert, and Brooke Chrisman of the Knoxville High School had some very blunt messages for students and for parents regarding success in high school.
1. Show up to school. You can’t learn if you aren’t there.
2. Do your homework. Study. You can’t learn if you don’t do your homework or study.
3. Be respectful. Don’t make a teacher angry. It doesn’t do anyone any good.
4. Set aside time to study.
5. Parents need to be involved. Help your kids. That you worked hard all day and are tired isn’t a good excuse for not helping with homework.
6. For kids who don’t have support at home, there are several programs at school that will help, if kids take advantage of them.
7. Parents need to monitor grades and homework constantly. If there is a problem, then it can be remedied early.
8. Punishments and threats of punishment work. Kids don’t want to lose their cell phone or cars.
Three great kids, some simple advice.