The Knoxville Fire and Police Departments responded to a gas leak at the corner of West Jackson and North Valley Drive yesterday morning.
Jackson Street is being rebuilt and workers struck a valve on a gas line next to the street while working. The leak was small and fairly slow, but the rushing sound of the highly pressurized gas and faint odor it carried could be detected from half a block away. Fire Chief Jim Mitchell told KNIA/KRLS it was fortunate that the wind was blowing, dispersing the gas, which is heavier than air, and keeping it from forming up in significant quantity. Technicians from Alliant Energy were quickly on scene and contained the leak.