The One to Count On...

Currently No Merit to Threats Made at Two Knoxville Schools

Posted: Thursday, October 12th, 2017 at 6:17 pm
Author: KNIA/KRLS News - Nathan Sage


The Knoxville Community School District dismissed school Thursday at 1:45 p.m. due to several factors.

According to Superintendent Cassi Pearson, with recent events in Las Vegas and other places, anxiety is heightened and there is additional fear of bad things happening that are out of the school district’s control. On Wednesday, administration from Knoxville High School began an investigation regarding a threat that was written on the wall of a boy’s bathroom stall at the high school. Officers with the Knoxville Police Department began their own investigation of the incident that continued into the late evening hours on Wednesday. As a result of both investigations officers believe that the threatening message had no merit. On Thursday, officers were present at the High School during the beginning of the school day and maintained a presence in all Knoxville schools throughout the day.

Lt. Aaron Fuller with the department tells KNIA/KRLS News during the school day, it was brought to the attention of Middle School staff that a threatening note had been found in a boy’s bathroom at the Middle School. Middle School Administration initiated an investigation. Officers do not believe the threat at the middle school to have merit. Both investigations are ongoing and are not believed to be linked to each other.

Superintendent Cassi Pearson says the school district take threats seriously and will follow through with consequences for those responsible. They also care deeply for the students and staff and believe they have made decisions in their best interests. Pearson says school will be held as usual on Friday and Knoxville Police Officers will be present at all Knoxville Schools.

If you have any information regarding the threats made at the high school or middle school, please call 641-828-0554 and ask to speak with a Knoxville Police Officer.