The One to Count On...

Fires Causing Devastation for Families in Marion County

Posted: Wednesday, February 14th, 2018 at 4:56 am
Author: KNIA/KRLS News - Nathan Sage

Marion County has had four structure fires in the past two weeks.

Fire Chief Jim Mitchell with Knoxville Fire and Rescue is reminding residents of simple ways to stay safe. Chief Mitchell tells KNIA/KRLS News space heaters or any heating elements should never be left unattended. Mitchell says if residents have to use a space heater, they should make sure it is UL approved. UL approved means the Underwriters Laboratory has approved the product based on tests of their nationally recognized standards for safety. Sunday evening two fires were believed to be caused by heating elements in outbuildings. The fire which occurred in rural Harvey killed numerous 4H goats. The goats belonged to Tamara Alexander and her daughter Bailey Finken. According to friends, the loss of the goats has been devastating for the family, and they are trying to find ways to replace the goats. For more information and to help with replacing the goats people may contact me (Denise) at 641-891-5700 or Amy Vroegh at 641-891-0187.